General marketing information
I am currently writing up some general information about marketing that may be of use to all of you as you seek to get yourselves busier. This includes more information about Watershed branding and how to use it, pursuing networking opportunities, and more. I’ll add a link to that information when I am finished. If you have any questions in the meantime – do not hesitate to reach out.
Contributing to the blog
Writing on the blog is the single simplest way to share your knowledge, experience and passion with the world. Blog articles can be as few as 500 words or as many as thousands, and can be personal, professional, informational, inspirational or a combination of all of these. You do not have to be the best writer on the world to contribute to the blog, you just need to be able to put your passion on the page using words.
At any time, you can reach out to suggest a blog article you want to write. I will let you know where/when it might fit into the overall content flow, and suggest when to get me a draft. We have several people willing to help with copyediting and even brainstorming/drafting – you need but ask.
The goal in a blog article is always to let your personality and passion to shine through. Even when discussing some exceedingly simple or mundane aspect of medicine, you should let your particular interest and understanding come forward.
All you have to do is write the words – I will make sure it is readable and SEO (search engine optimization) oriented, get it on the website, promote it, and make sure people read it.
Know that we are also starting to fully explore multi-media, so if you’re not the writing type but have something interesting to talk about, we could do an audio or video version instead. More on that soon.
Contributing to the newsletters
Newsletters for both clinics go out once a month. If you would like to get something specific into the next newsletter (next newsletter dates below) you need to get that information to me at least 3 days before the newsletter is set to go out. I may change your wording somewhat to fit the marketing language we use, or to make it fit better in the newsletter. In some cases, I may decide to delay the information, or send it out in another format. You can submit your information by email, Slack, or in the form at the bottom of this page.
- Next Portland newsletter : Wednesday, May 10, 2017
- Next Astoria newsletter : Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Newsletters will come out approximately once a month, nearly always on Wednesday.
Adding to and updating the websites (bios, etc)
Along with contributing to the blog and sharing our social media messages, another way you can help our digital marketing efforts is to add/update information on the website. Here are some suggestions.
If you are interested in doing any of these, you need only email the relevant information to me, submit it in the form below, or chat with me about it when you see me. I will sometimes go through the bios and other pages, and send you ideas about how I think you could contribute specifically – but your ideas are ALWAYS appreciated.
- I recommend you review your bio every 1-2 months to determine if you would like to add, alter or otherwise change anything there. The bios are the #1 place people go on the site other than the scheduling page and the front page!
- Look at the modality pages for your medicine. Are there subcategories you could lend your expertise to explaining? Are there parts of existing pages you would like to expand? Anything to remove? Are there links, videos or other information online you would like to point people towards?
- In general, I recommend you visit the website every week or so. Read through some stuff. See typos? Think of a great idea for something to do (by you or someone else)? Let me know!
Using your business cards & the rack cards
You all have business cards, and all have access to our rack cards – these should be utilized! At any time, feel free to grab a small stack of either and…
- Hand them out at personal and professional events
- Tack them up on the corkboards or other offered spaces at establishments you enjoy / where your patients hang out
- Write a personal letter to a potential referral source with your business card and a couple of rack cards
We will hopefully be expanding the number of rack cards we have at both clinics in late 2017 and early 2018. Your recommendations and input are invaluable, thank you.
Utilizing our front stoop at Watershed Portland
Ladd’s Addition is a true Portland neighborhood. People like to walk around and hang out near the cafe or on the circle in the summer months. We should really be taking advantage of this fact by using our rather large entry stoop to our advantage.
In the back storage area, you will find a stack of items with labels that say “Tabling Equipment.” Everything you need to set up a table should be in that stack. If it’s a nice day, and you don’t have much to do or would like to do your work outside – go for it.
- Get the equipment you will need
- Set up on the stoop, still giving ample space for people to exit and enter, of course.
- Be sure to have business cards, rack cards and the newsletter sign up sheet prominently displayed.
- Be friendly, open, and willing to answer questions about any aspect of the practice.
- Feel free to bring out herbs, needles and other implements of your medicine so people have something to do. Books can also be a nice addition. Do whatever you can think to do to make your table look attractive and inviting.
- Depending on the person and situation, you could consider doing free ear seeds, short shoulder massages, or other demonstrations.
- When you table, remember the goal is simply to spread awareness of Watershed Wellness and what we offer. So, if nobody “signs up,” don’t see it as a failure. It takes people on average 7 times seeing a given business name before it truly registers enough for them to take action. Every little bit counts.
Sharing & participating in live events
We will be doing a couple of summer/fall street fairs in 2017, and seeking to expand the number of events we do in 2018. When we have dates for upcoming events, sign up sheets will be available here. If you hear of an event that you think we should be involved with, email, Slack or input the information in the form below.
Putting yourself out there
No matter how great our online or offline marketing is as a clinic, there’s still never any substitute for just being willing to talk to people in your day-to-day life. Every day, opportunities arise for you to talk about what you do. Many of us feel uncomfortable with that, as if we are forcing people to listen to a marketing pitch.
If you feel that way, try to remember that as a medical practitioner – particularly in the “alternative medicine” realm – the most important thing we can do is to let people know we exist. Our medicines are powerful, they make real differences in people’s lives, why WOULDN’T you want to crow that from the rooftops?
If you need help getting through internal barriers to bringing up your practice and our clinic in regular conversation – get in touch with Eric and we’ll work on your elevator speech and discuss ways you can promote yourself using these powerful techniques.
More to come on this, soon.
Getting information about you, your practice, your news and your ideas to Eric
[gravityform id=”2″ title=”true” description=”true”]